2009年10月26日星期一

Homework1:Death and Funerals

1.Do you agree with the web site's description?What do you do that can be called "wrapping"? Give examples and reasons for your actions.
Yes I agree with the web site's description. Wrapping may refer to something that separates one thing from another. In a deeper degree, I think it hides the inner world of ourselves so that we won't get hurt.
I surely think many goods is wrapped inidividual in Japan. It reason is convenient and easy to use. Also it appearance is good and looks very polite. Japanese more care about appearance than other people. I think maybe "wrapping" is the one of the Japanese culture.
For example, wears a mask when talking or meeting strangers, and we won't expose ourselves to the unfamiliar environment, so the mask serves as the wrapping that we may pretend to be what we are not in order to get away from hurt.
Also, if tomorrow is my friend birthday, I'll send her a birthday card and wrapping up the present.

2.Where do you go when you die?
I think people may go to heaven when they die.

3.why do Japanese have death memorial services 1 month, 1 year, 3 years, 7 years, etc. after a person's death?
I'm not sure why do Japanese have death memorial services.Maybe to have the death memorial services is to guide the dead to the right road. perhaps, they may feel lonely and scared, the memorial service is to accompany them by the living people.

4.Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died? If not, then how would you express condolences to an American host family if their Grandmother died?
I have some international friends. First, I would say"I'm sorry to hear the news." and then, I would tell his family that what is gone has been gone. The past one will not be back. so just let it go, and life consists of ups and downs, twists and turns.

5. Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?
No.I have never been to a foreign funeral.

3 条评论:

  1. I also care about wrraping when I give someone a gift. I want to express how I care that person and that gift :)

    回复删除
  2. Hi,applepie.

    Your opinion,"to guide the dead to the right road" is good expression, I thought!!
    I'm not sure why Japanese people have death memorial services even I am Japanese,too.
    So I don't know the answer but I am impressed with your opinion.

    回复删除
  3. Hello.
    Your answer is a little different from my opinion.
    In my opinion, we go to heaven or hell, but you think we go to only heaven.
    I think it's very happy end.

    回复删除